Finding Work Experience Placements
Many of you will have the opportunity to complete a work experience placement this year. Here are some tips on how to find a placement that’s right for you:
• Search online for any work experience programs on company websites, email them your resume and a covering letter saying why you want to work with their company.
• Ask your family, friends and teachers if they know anywhere that has a work experience program, as you may be able to obtain placements through people you already know.
• It is also a fantastic opportunity to attend career fairs and collect information about companies. That way you are networking in person, rather than via email or a telephone call.
To see more handy hints about finding placements, visit How to Get Work Experience.
Making the Most of Your Work Experience Placements
Now that you’ve secured your placement, there are some helpful things to keep in mind to ensure you make the most of your work experience.
• Talk to the people working around you. Ask them questions about their role, what they like about it and if they studied to arrive at their position. But remember, if they seem busy try not to disrupt them. Instead ask them if you would be able to spend 10 minutes with them when they have some time.
• Think about the sorts of skills you would like to develop while you are at your work placement.
• Make sure to ask for an evaluation or reflection from your supervisor before you leave.
• Thank the team in person for what they taught you and for giving you the opportunity to work there.
• After returning to school, send another email thanking the team.
To see more handy hints about how to maximise your work experience opportunity, visit Making the Most of your Placement.